Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Base Building Phase = Beware! Bitchy Personality!

Last Saturday, one of my bike friends invited me to his place near Morrow mountain. We did a 3 hour ride which included climbing the mountain. The climb was the steepest I have ever attempted since I started riding in November. I know this will sound psycho but I'd rather climb hills than go downhill. I have this fear of flying over the handle bars and knocking my teeth out when I'm speeding down the hill. I was squeezing my rear brake so hard going down the mountain that my hand started hurting. I've got to get over this fear, my top speed down the mountain was 32mph. I'm such a wimp! I've gone faster down the rolling hills around my house. You should have seen the guys flying down the mountain, it looked like a lot of fun. My friend complained her quads hurt after that ride but my saddlebags(outer thighs/hips) hurt more. Not sure what that means. I slept really well that night.

Sunday, I had to run for 85 min. which was about 11 miles. This is the longest I have ever run in my entire life too. After my run, I went to the grocery store and spent $130.00. After my shopping binge I was really tired. Just the thought of unloading all the grocery bags from the van seemed like a huge challenge. I had already decided on this gourmet meal I was going to prepare. Chicken breasts stuffed with spinach, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes and feta and pasta salad.

My husband came home after I unpacked the groceries and was working on dinner. He asked me what was wrong because I was so quiet. I assured him nothing was bothering me, I was just really tired. He asked why was I preparing such a complicated meal if I was tired. "Because I require high quality food, not crap like burgers and fries." He probably should have realized I wasn't in the best of moods by that response. Guess he didn't get the clue because he then told me he wasn't going to eat any of the chicken because he didn't like mushrooms or feta. This stopped me pounding the chicken breasts with my metal mallet. I felt using the mallet on his dome piece for a brief second. Instead, I went on a rant about not understanding what tired really feels like. How much planning it takes to prepare a healthy meal. How I'm sick of complainers and if he doesn't like something he should keep it to himself. I really lost it, my heart was beating faster ranting than during my 11 mile run.

I talked to my friend about my attitude the next day. Small things seem to set me off. I joked that I'm afraid my husband will divorce me before my Half Ironman. She told me about the training plan she is following. She told me to look up what it says about completing the base building phase. Here is what I found:
"By the end of the base building phase, some of you may start to get a little grumpy and irritable. This is due to the fact that you are pushing that overtrained state. Fortunately, the speedwork phase begins the following week. During this period you will be cutting back on the mileage/yardage while maintaining your overall endurance. This will also provide you with the added rest for which are looking. You will probably experience an increase in energy and your attitude will start to err towards the positive side!"

A little grumpy and irritable? I'm not following the same plan but now I know that I'm not alone with the bitchy feelings. I don't get a day off this week so I'm not expecting to feel a lot better. I do think there is a need for a "Spouse of a Triathlete Sanity Bible". I don't think my husband understood that training can affect my emotional state. I honestly didn't realize it either. I'm making a effort to hold my tongue and stay away from others when I'm extremely tired.

Even though I'm a grouch, I'm excited that I'm completing my goals. The workouts I finished last week were tough and I never thought at this time last year possible. I'm still growing and surprising myself on a daily basis.

Thanks for loving me grouch and all, honey.

11 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Cycling Under The Influence said...

This happens to all of us. I always get really ill and touchy at the end of my long build periods. It looks like you are getting all of the fun stuff in to have a good first half at White Lake.

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger MissJenny said...

I hit my boyfriend with my shoe last week because he asked me to clean the litter box. This training does funny things to people.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger KBGee said...

Those close to me say that I get cranky when I don't workout regularly. I wonder how how my mood changes when overtrain. I've never really thought about it. You've given me something to think about. Thanks.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger JF said...

It's ok! We all get that way at times. Did you get that saying from "TriNewbies"? That is the same thing off of my workout! It's true. You will be okay! No matter what, I will still love you! Just be sure to have on your "happy face" on race day! Ha!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

I'm with Cagey. I only get cranky when i miss training, but can relate that to what you're going through. But reading about everyone's crankiness, I'm starting to winder if I'm not training hard enough. White Lake is going to be a great race... Jamie, you and I really need to meet up!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Brett said...

Morrow Mountain? That's where I'm from ... Very cool.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Robin said...

WOW!!! You are doing your first Half in MAY. In MAY! YOU GO GIRL! That just clicked for me that it is in MAY. I am impressed.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

coach outlet store
swarovski jewelry
michael kors outlet
christian louboutin shoes
michael kors uk outlet
ugg boots
nike running shoes
michael kors outlet sale
ray-ban sunglasses
cheap soccer jerseys
nike air max uk
prada sneakers
michael kors outlet online
nike roshe
swarovski crystal
oakley sunglasses
ralph lauren uk
nobis jacket
north face outlet
roshe run men
mm1127

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger John said...

uggs on sale
nike huarache
uggs outlet
coach outlet
michael kors uk
coach outlet
uggs sale
coach outlet store online
ray ban sunglasses outlet
prada outlet
louis vuitton handbags
cheap oakleys
cheap nfl jerseys
ugg outlet
timberland boots
montblanc
chanel handbags
adidas originals
coach outlet
fitflops sale clearance
abercrombie
ralph lauren uk
michael kors outlet online
oakley sunglasses
supra shoes
nike air force 1
michael kors handbags
canada goose outlet
coach factory outlet
michael kors outlet
cheap jordans
20151217yuanyuan

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, nike tn, abercrombie and fitch uk, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, true religion outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban pas cher, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, north face, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors, hollister uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, ralph lauren uk, nike air force, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, sac hermes, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe run uk, converse pas cher, nike free uk, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, lululemon canada, kate spade, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, coach outlet, replica handbags, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, hollister pas cher, ray ban uk, north face uk

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Cara Menghilangkan Gatal di Selangkangan said...

Very interesting article, thank you for sharing. I also want to share the following health articles, God willing, useful. Thank you :)

Pengobatan Penyakit Divertikulitis

Cara Mengatasi Pengapuran Plasenta
Penyebab dan Cara Mengatasi Penyakit Kolitis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home