Thursday, March 23, 2006

My Guilty Pleasure: Toenails and Tea



There aren't too many things that I'm picky about in life. I'll get a cheap haircut, I make my own soaps, lotions and bath products and I'll buy clothes at WalMart. Two things that I splurge on are my toenails and loose leaf teas(oolong and green). I even have a special Dragon teacup and have been known to buy tea samples that cost over $100.00 per pound. I'm not your traditional farmer.

I think the toenail fetish started while I was going through chemo. I lost all my hair, so I couldn't play around with new hair styles. I lost my eyebrows and most of my eyelashes, so makeup looked weird. Clothes didn't really matter because without any hair and being sickly thin I looked like a boy. I had my toenails and when I would paint them, I felt pretty like a girl again. I called them my "jewels". I still remember how outraged I was when I was going into surgery and they made me remove my toenail polish. They said they needed to see my bare toenails because if they turned blue, I wasn't getting enough oxygen. I know I shouldn't have cared. My toenail polish was the only thing I had left, it made me feel feminine.

This toenail fixation has carried on. It is only my toenails, NO fingernail painting. I have short and yellowed(from the iodine in the goat's udder wash) fingernails. My hands are abused too much on a daily basis to look pretty. A few years ago I started going to an Asian woman for pedicures named Paula. Paula doesn't bullshit around and is a very honest person. My Mom refuses to go to her shop because Paula offended her by saying her ring was fake.(It was too) It sucks because my Mom would pay for my pedicures but I won't go anywhere else. Paula told me three years ago I would look better if I lost ten pounds.(she was right) She told my step daughter she was acting too masculine and boys don't like that. So you get the drift, she doesn't mince words.

I have never met anyone that can paint toenails like Paula though, she knows exactly what I like. She is truly a gifted artist. She really concentrates and puts lots of thought into her work. It reminds me of the eggs I paint. Every three weeks, I go to Paula and she creates a new design. We have developed a friendship so she will do special designs for me for free, I pay for the basic pedicure. I'll bring her eggs(her favorite are duck) and I made her a Buddha soap and incense for Christmas. We talk about her past in Vietnam. I sat and listened to her cry when her son died tragically a few months ago. When I got my toenails done a few days ago, she surprised me by sharing a pot of her own green tea with me. It was heavenly, pretty toenails and green tea at the same moment.

So, Paula's paintings are my guilty pleasure that I splurge on every three weeks. When I walk out of her shop with my freshly painted toes, I always feel more beautiful. I normally wear tennis shoes but when I take off my socks and see the polish it brings me happiness. The early mornings that I have to swim and feel cranky, I look at my toenails and snap out of the funk. What is your guilty pleasure?

10 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger :) said...

When I first read your title, I thought you said:

"Toenails in Tea"

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Love the post!! You are so lucky to have found such a wonderful friend in your pedicurist (is that a word?). I have yet to find one who will paint my toes real pretty like that yet. I guess I will just have to keep looking.

btw - I thought the same as Flatman, but I knew it couldn't be true.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

What a great post!!

I'm pretty sure all my guilty pleasures revolve around food. Certainly not attractive nails, on hands nor feet.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Why did you have to have chemo (if you don't mind me asking)?

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nike air max, kate spade outlet online, longchamp outlet online, tory burch outlet online, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, polo ralph lauren, ray ban outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, true religion, louis vuitton outlet online, kate spade outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, red bottom shoes, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, true religion outlet, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet online, nike outlet, michael kors handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, gucci handbags, nike free, longchamp handbags, coach outlet store online, prada outlet, louis vuitton handbags, burberry outlet online, coach outlet, michael kors outlet store, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, jordan shoes

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

coach outlet store
swarovski jewelry
michael kors outlet
christian louboutin shoes
michael kors uk outlet
ugg boots
nike running shoes
michael kors outlet sale
ray-ban sunglasses
cheap soccer jerseys
nike air max uk
prada sneakers
michael kors outlet online
nike roshe
swarovski crystal
oakley sunglasses
ralph lauren uk
nobis jacket
north face outlet
roshe run men
mm1127

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, longchamp outlet, chanel handbags, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, nike roshe, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, jordan pas cher, tiffany and co, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, nike outlet, nike air max, polo outlet, nike free run, louboutin pas cher, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, air max, michael kors pas cher, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, burberry pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp pas cher, ugg boots, nike air max, polo ralph lauren, polo ralph lauren outlet online, oakley sunglasses

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, nike tn, abercrombie and fitch uk, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, true religion outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban pas cher, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, north face, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors, hollister uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, ralph lauren uk, nike air force, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, sac hermes, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe run uk, converse pas cher, nike free uk, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, lululemon canada, kate spade, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, coach outlet, replica handbags, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, hollister pas cher, ray ban uk, north face uk

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

instyler, new balance shoes, mac cosmetics, abercrombie and fitch, soccer shoes, insanity workout, reebok outlet, iphone 5s cases, north face outlet, wedding dresses, jimmy choo outlet, iphone 6 cases, ralph lauren, iphone 6 plus cases, celine handbags, mont blanc pens, giuseppe zanotti outlet, hollister, louboutin, nfl jerseys, hermes belt, oakley, babyliss, lululemon, hollister clothing, ipad cases, iphone 6s plus cases, longchamp uk, iphone cases, timberland boots, soccer jerseys, baseball bats, nike huaraches, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, chi flat iron, ferragamo shoes, bottega veneta, asics running shoes, s6 case, nike trainers uk, beats by dre, p90x workout, nike air max, ghd hair, north face outlet, nike roshe run, iphone 6s cases, vans outlet, herve leger

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, vans, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, ugg uk, louis vuitton, moncler, karen millen uk, canada goose outlet, hollister, gucci, moncler, supra shoes, nike air max, moncler, toms shoes, lancel, ugg, marc jacobs, thomas sabo, barbour, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, louis vuitton, links of london, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour uk, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, montre pas cher, coach outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, ray ban, louis vuitton, moncler, doudoune moncler, canada goose, swarovski crystal, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, replica watches, swarovski, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, hollister, canada goose jackets, canada goose uk, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose, canada goose

 

Post a Comment

<< Home