Saturday, March 11, 2006

One Down, Seven To Go

I finished my first ever Triathlon and first race of the season today! It was an experience I'll never forget. I went through so many emotions- fear, competitiveness, joy, relief, calm, anticipation, excitement, dread.

Fear- My heart was racing out of my chest when we were lined up for the swim start. I was very scared about my first ever race. I swear, my heart rate was over 150bmp just waiting to swim. I don't know my split times yet but I don't think my swim was very good. I couldn't ever recover from freaking out and I didn't feel smooth. The pool was huge! As big as our small goat pasture! There were no black crosses on the walls and this screwed me up. I would slow down when I got near the unmarked wall. I think I have a depth perception problem. I was breathing nearly every stroke. I think I will enjoy the open water swims more. I passed four people on the swim.

Calm- Surprisingly, I felt the most comfortable on my bike, I was really thinking I could love the swim.. Hubby and I drove the bike course before the race, so I knew what to expect. I felt really good on the bike, maybe it was the jersey! I passed the first woman novice that started the swim in the middle of the bike course. Bike shop friends told me not to "blow myself out" on the bike. Also, stretch my legs out one mile before finish. #1 novice swim lady passed me, the last hill on the bike and I let her. She was breathing really hard. I was trying to listen to bike shop friends. At that moment I realized I was competitive. I was determined to chase her down on the run.


Dread-I saw the run course before the race too. I dreaded it! It was mostly grass and gravel roads. The gravel road was a hill, we had to do it twice! Out and back. I chased down swim lady because she started walking. I think she blew herself out. I'm glad I listened to bike shop friends!

Excitement- Me and Jessica before the race. I am so glad I had someone to help me through the race. Jessica was a wonderful friend. My husband yelling at me every time I would take a breath at the wall of the swim, "Maguai". The ladies handing out water- yelling at the bottom of the gravel hill "475- You rock girl, you look great!" The lady with her child "Way to go 475, you are almost done be strong at the finish!" I smiled at her. "Keep smiling your beautiful smile. " she yelled back. These experiences were all exciting to me and were very encouraging. I can't say enough about the volunteers and spectators.

Relief- When the run was over. I thought I was going to throw up the last mile. I also broke out in a cold sweat and goose bumps.You see, I didn't drink anything during the race. I was too busy on the bike ride and I tried to drink a cup of water running but choked. I learned a lesson, I need to drink on the bike. I think my run time suffered.

Joy- When I crossed the finish line. A few times in the race I felt doubt within myself. I would not stop or quit. When I crossed the finish line and saw tears in my husbands' eyes. When I felt so happy to be healthy and alive to experience this moment. When I placed second in women's novice and won a red pull-over vest. When Jessica won third in her category.


My time was 1:18. I don't know the split times yet, they'll be posted Sunday night. Swim lady didn't beat me. I forgot, this race is based on time- not who's in front. The #1 female novices' time was 1:15, she started behind me. I think the 1st Elite woman's time was 1:03. She was so great in the swim, I timed her at 5:55 but that didn't count running to the mat. I spoke with her husband and she swam in college.(she had two beautiful little girls too) She came out of the pool 1st! She beat all the men!

I screamed "You Go Girl!"

Anticipation- Do I have to spell everything out for you?

9 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Sixteen Chickens said...

I'm so PROUD of you! YOU did it! Wow! 2nd in the novice, way to go! I hope you are drinking plenty of fluids right now... I'll go break open that Jack Daniels for ya. ;)

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

Awesome race! Congrats on your finish!

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

FABULOUS, FABULOUS!! That was wonderful! Great performance and a great report! And you look SUPER HARD CORE on your bike!!!

Go have some of that yummy goat's milk ice cream!! :-)

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Cycling Under The Influence said...

Wow! That's a great job in any race, much less your first one. Let me tell you- I have done a lot of triathlons, and that was the hardest run course I have ever seen for a sprint. I felt the whole time like I was running really slow. I printed the swim start times out and circled your race number so I could come and find you, and then promptly left the sheet at home. I read the sheet that was posted at the race but I couldn't remember your name (Mojo was not listed anywhere). Great race. What is next for you?

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger JF said...

I really enjoyed doing this race with you. Thanks for all the nice comments! Trust me! It has been b/c of people that are better than me that have made me the triathlete that I am today! You are WAY AHEAD of the game! You are a strong woman in more ways than you will ever know! I am so proud of you and you know what? It was good to have you an Don cheering me on too! That NEVER gets old! Never!

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Oh. My. God! YOU TOTALLY ROCK! I have been away from my blog (and therefore everyone's for a bit) and am cataching up. I just read everything. YOU ROCK! Great photos! It was sooo much fun, huh? Besides the butterflies. So, what flavor goat's milk ice cream did you celebrate with?? :)

And THANKS for your donation! What a surprise. Nice surprise. Did you check out the Team in Training (TNT) site yet? Anything near your abode? Definitely wrth doing, in my opinion. I want them to do a TNT Ironman training event. That support would be cool.

Well, thanks again. Now I know you're real name! haha! I must say, while it's nice, I do like MoJo. Seems mucho more appropriate for you the way you handled your first tri! Go go GO!Looking forward to the next race report & pics! (I need to get a digital camera!)

NICE JOB!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

coach outlet store
swarovski jewelry
michael kors outlet
christian louboutin shoes
michael kors uk outlet
ugg boots
nike running shoes
michael kors outlet sale
ray-ban sunglasses
cheap soccer jerseys
nike air max uk
prada sneakers
michael kors outlet online
nike roshe
swarovski crystal
oakley sunglasses
ralph lauren uk
nobis jacket
north face outlet
roshe run men
mm1127

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, longchamp outlet, chanel handbags, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, nike roshe, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, jordan pas cher, tiffany and co, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, nike outlet, nike air max, polo outlet, nike free run, louboutin pas cher, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, air max, michael kors pas cher, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, burberry pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp pas cher, ugg boots, nike air max, polo ralph lauren, polo ralph lauren outlet online, oakley sunglasses

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, nike tn, abercrombie and fitch uk, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, true religion outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban pas cher, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, north face, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors, hollister uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, ralph lauren uk, nike air force, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, sac hermes, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe run uk, converse pas cher, nike free uk, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, lululemon canada, kate spade, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, coach outlet, replica handbags, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, hollister pas cher, ray ban uk, north face uk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home