Thursday, March 16, 2006

Peep Peeps



I have been busy spring cleaning and training. Getting the baby chick brooders ready, replacing bulbs in heat lamps, tilling the soil in the brooder runs. Remember those eggs on the table in my very first post? They started hatching on Monday night, here are the first chicks of the season.

It's always exciting to watch the first chicks hatch. It's nice starting the year with a clean chick building. I love the smell of fresh pine shavings. I enjoy watching excited customers pick out their chicks and getting enthusiastic phone calls when they find their hens' first egg. I get sad phone calls too, when chickens are found killed by predators. I try to be sympathetic but farming has made me jaded. I am used to death now, in the beginning it would tear me up. I have to choose which male animals will live or die. It's almost like playing God. "This rooster will be spared because he has the best comb." In farming, the female animals are so much more important than males.

By July, I am tired of baby chicks. I am tired of milking goats. I am tired of cleaning coops in the 95 degree heat. Small scale farming is dying out. I have watched farmers my age come to a market one year and quit the next. They don't have the money to fertilize the fields or have enough saved for black plastic. In all honesty, my business is not profitable. If my husband didn't have a full time job, I wouldn't be able to support this farm. The soap making keeps my business afloat but most of that money is spent feeding the animals. It is emotionally and physically tiring work.

Why do I do it? Because my work is never boring. I may get tired but never bored. Something new happens or changes on a daily basis. Because I truly love animals, their beauty, their innocence. Because it's made me stronger mentally. Because I am protecting rare breeds of animals which one day may be forgotten. Because I am constantly learning. Maybe I got into farming because my Dad was in the Air Force when I was young. I moved around all the time and never had any animals that bonded with me. Farming "grounds" you. I have to be homebound. I can't travel around all the time because the animals are depending on me. I enjoy the security of knowing this is my place, my home.

The best parents on the farm are goats and geese. The geese are extremely devoted to their goslings. They are mean as a snake if you get too close to their young. The flock will form a barrier around the baby geese while they are grazing with the young in the middle. The geese have never lost any young to predators. They would risk their life to protect their offspring. I have a Mama goose that is setting on her eggs right now. She was smart and built the nest in a saw grass bush, it's sharp! She is like a snake too, here she is hissing at me because I'm in her space.

On the training front, I have been working hard. I have been following my training schedule too. Yesterday, I used my heart rate monitor for the first time. I was doing 6, 5 min. sprints in zone 5. Wow, I didn't know how difficult workouts could be using a heart monitor. I really pushed myself and got my heart rate to 194. I think my max heart rate is probably 200. I don't really understand heart rate yet. For example, a max heart rate of 200 sounds high. Is that bad?

9 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

Love the insight into small scale farming. Very interesting post!

Regarding heart rate, 200 is high if your going by the age based formula, something like 220-age = max heart rate with a few variations for sex/age/fitness. You'd have to look it up. But many say the formula is inaccurate. Certainly not accurate for me, I'm up in your neck of the woods in terms of max HR.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Cycling Under The Influence said...

I like the post! I think the world could use a few more people like you.

About the HR- everyone is different. What is normal for me may not even be close for you. As long as the doc says it's okay (you DO get an annual physical, right?) and you don't have any problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger JF said...

Great pictures! I was finally able to get on! Tarheeltri and Jamie are right about your HR (what we were talking about yesterday), but physical exam? Might want to talk to your Dr. Wouldn't hurt (considering everything... it's better to make sure that everything is okay). Thanks for the ride yesterday and the swim this morning.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

Great post! Yeah, the HR thing still intrigues me. I know the 220-age thing is inaccurate, one, because my coach told me and two, because mine would be 192 but my HR has gotten up to 195 before. So far I haven't spontaneously combusted....:) Who knows!!! I did a VO2 max test and was able to find a good HR range that way.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Sixteen Chickens said...

Awww look at those little chicks! So cute and fluffy! And yep, those darn geese are mean, hiss, mock bite, hiss bite for real, bite bite bite. Darn fools. Shoveling out a coop in 95 degree heat though, uhhh no thanks. You have really embraced your lifestyle, that's a wonderful thing. It must be great to wake up to a rooster crowing.
HR monitors, ugh, I think they notoriously lie, but what do I know? Nuthin.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

coach outlet store
swarovski jewelry
michael kors outlet
christian louboutin shoes
michael kors uk outlet
ugg boots
nike running shoes
michael kors outlet sale
ray-ban sunglasses
cheap soccer jerseys
nike air max uk
prada sneakers
michael kors outlet online
nike roshe
swarovski crystal
oakley sunglasses
ralph lauren uk
nobis jacket
north face outlet
roshe run men
mm1127

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, longchamp outlet, chanel handbags, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, nike roshe, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, jordan pas cher, tiffany and co, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, nike outlet, nike air max, polo outlet, nike free run, louboutin pas cher, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, air max, michael kors pas cher, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, burberry pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp pas cher, ugg boots, nike air max, polo ralph lauren, polo ralph lauren outlet online, oakley sunglasses

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

instyler, new balance shoes, mac cosmetics, abercrombie and fitch, soccer shoes, insanity workout, reebok outlet, iphone 5s cases, north face outlet, wedding dresses, jimmy choo outlet, iphone 6 cases, ralph lauren, iphone 6 plus cases, celine handbags, mont blanc pens, giuseppe zanotti outlet, hollister, louboutin, nfl jerseys, hermes belt, oakley, babyliss, lululemon, hollister clothing, ipad cases, iphone 6s plus cases, longchamp uk, iphone cases, timberland boots, soccer jerseys, baseball bats, nike huaraches, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, chi flat iron, ferragamo shoes, bottega veneta, asics running shoes, s6 case, nike trainers uk, beats by dre, p90x workout, nike air max, ghd hair, north face outlet, nike roshe run, iphone 6s cases, vans outlet, herve leger

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, vans, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, ugg uk, louis vuitton, moncler, karen millen uk, canada goose outlet, hollister, gucci, moncler, supra shoes, nike air max, moncler, toms shoes, lancel, ugg, marc jacobs, thomas sabo, barbour, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, louis vuitton, links of london, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour uk, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, montre pas cher, coach outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, ray ban, louis vuitton, moncler, doudoune moncler, canada goose, swarovski crystal, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, replica watches, swarovski, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, hollister, canada goose jackets, canada goose uk, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose, canada goose

 

Post a Comment

<< Home