Monday, May 08, 2006

70.3 Self Propelled Miles Full of Smiles

I'm not going to write about my race time until the splits are posted. I did win 1st novice female for the White Lake Half. Most importantly, I really enjoyed myself this race. I felt wonderful, I could have kept going. I'm so thankful my body is strong and healthy. I still am shocked I swam, biked and ran 70.3 miles and didn't hurt. I smiled the entire time.

Coming out of the water, the 1.2 mile swim went by so quickly. I went a little of course because I didn't sight well and swam into the center of the course. I loved the swim, White Lake is lovely. I remember watching the sun peek out of the clouds when I'd take a breath. I knew it would be a good day!



Ready to start the journey on the bike. I thought 56 miles would feel like I was riding the bike for days but the ride went by fast too. I focused on eating and drinking enough on my bike, almost every 30 minutes. I didn't push myself on the bike, I listened to Charlie and maintained a 17.7 mph average. I was well hydrated which created the pee-pee pants problem. It was all good though and I kept on smiling.






Half way into the run, my husband and Snaggle were waiting for me. I had lots of energy left for my run. I smiled at everyone I saw. I thanked all the volunteers. I ran through the standing water in the streets and splashed myself. I let kids that were watching spray me with a hose. I was happy.

I smiled again at a runner the second time we passed each other. He said "You are smiling way too big and way too much. You just biked 56 miles and now you have to run 13. This race isn't that much fun!"

I must be a glutton for punishment because I really was enjoying the entire experience.




Then, I was finished and I really smiled. I got to watch Meg and Jessica come in. I handed Jessica her beer when she crossed the finish line.

At the awards, when the announcer said that I won first novice, my family and friends cheered and screamed so loud. My husband said that everyone was screaming loud. I was so embarrassed that I just ran up the stairs and got the dry-fit shirt that I'm wearing in this picture with Snaggle. You can't see the huge smile on my face because I was running up the stairs so fast because I couldn't believe the loud cheering was for me.

I stayed for Sunday's sprint race to watch some of my training friends. I couldn't wait to watch a race and cheer for other people. I stood on the run course during the sprint and smiled and clapped for everyone. A man saw me and recognized me, "Hey, it's Smiles from yesterday's race! Keep on smiling girl!" It was a wonderful compliment. I would love for everyone to remember me by my smile. Thanks to my wonderful family and friends for their support!

10 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger KBGee said...

I'm glad you finished well and enjoyed yourself. I also enjoyed the pictures. Congratulations!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Jill said...

Congratulations on a great race and winning the novice division!! You should feel proud at such an accomplishment!!

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

You rock! What an awesome experience for your first Half! It was great high-fiving you on the run!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger :) said...

WAY TO GO!!!


You rocked it!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Cycling Under The Influence said...

You did awesome! It was good to see you do so well this weekend. You should be very proud of yourself. I saw you go by on the second lap of the run and you were kicking some tail!

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Janet Edwards said...

You kick ass!!!!

Way to win and smile the whole way through it! That is awesome!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

What a radiant smile! I'll bet you really lit up that course just like Natascha Badmann does!

Congratulations!

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger MissJenny said...

You are awesome. I love it when people look like they're enjoying what they're doing. I never understand those people who are working out and have this grimace of horrible misery on their faces. I like how you take joy in everything you do. You inspire me!

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger JF said...

What an experience! I love you an your family and they have made these races so much fun b/c they are so supportive. Like Miss Jenny said, you inspire me too! You always have. You make it look effortless and you just want to enjoy the moment. You ready to tackle the Duke Half? Let's look at the funds!

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, nike tn, abercrombie and fitch uk, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, true religion outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban pas cher, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, north face, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors, hollister uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, ralph lauren uk, nike air force, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, sac hermes, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe run uk, converse pas cher, nike free uk, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, lululemon canada, kate spade, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, coach outlet, replica handbags, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, hollister pas cher, ray ban uk, north face uk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home