Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Got Yer Goats?


Yesterday, my husband and I spent the entire day working in the pasture. I yelled at him once because he almost ripped my thumb off when we were trying to throw a tractor tire over the fence. He didn't say 1-2-3, he starting throwing at 1 and I wasn't ready! We took down old chicken pens and fencing to create a better pasture for the goats. We are going to use the wood from the old chicken coops to build a goat playground. We also bought over $200.00 in lumber for their new playground. They are going to love it! They'll get to climb up ramps, lay on the top platform and sunbathe. I'll enjoy drinking some wine in the evenings and watching them play "king of the mountain".

We used some of the fencing from the chicken pens to form a feeding/corral area for the goats. This corral is locked until feed time, then I open it and they are locked in. You don't know how difficult it can be to catch a goat in a 7 acre pasture for worming, then keeping track of which goats have been wormed. It would drive me crazy! Now, I have tricked them and I will catch them with ease. The goats are really obnoxious when you try to feed them, they are impatient. They'll stand on the feeders. I can't pour the food into the feeder when they stand in it, the food sometimes is poured on their heads or on the ground. Today, they were confused about how to get to the new feed area but when they heard the sound of the metal garbage lid, they came running!

I also learned how to operate a Troy-Bilt zero-turn riding mower. I almost peed in my pants when I first started driving it because I almost mowed down my husband.(That was for making my thumb bleed) Then, I almost took down the fence. It took me a couple minutes to figure out, reverse, forward, right and left using both hands. Then, I was zipping around the pasture cutting the grass like a good old redneck. Hand me a Bud Light and some chewing tobacco and we'd have a good Polaroid!

I bought ten pound of lamb I've got to cook today. Irish lamb stew, lamb chili and souvlaki. The butcher gave me a great deal I couldn't resist so I'll start a cook-fest after I run, swim and pick up goat oat hay. Ya'll want to come for dinner and watch the goaties play?

14 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Brett said...

What time should I be there?

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Of course, guess I better leave now!

Sounds like one busy day! Cute lil goaties!

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

I told my husband I want a goat farm when we retire because I am so envious of your lifestyle. But I bet it is hard work. Your goats are so cute though!

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Sounds wonderful! I want to come!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Flo said...

Sounds good, I'll bring the wine.

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

WOW you do some great cross training! Enjoy the food maybe next time. Thanks for the offer though.

 
At 2:38 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

You talk about peeing in your pants as if there's something wrong with that.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger JF said...

You know that I will be there! Tell me time and day! I love your farm! It's full of life and love!

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's an remarkable article inn sսpport of
alll the internet people; they will take benefit from itt I am sure.


My paɡe lynchburg real estate agents (https://www.youtube.com)

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Undeniably consider that which you stated. Your favourite justification appeared to be
on the internet the easiest thing to take note of. I say to you, I
definitely get annoyed even as folks consider concerns that they just don't understand about.
You managed to hit the nail upon the highest as smartly as defined
out the whole thing without having side-effects
, other people could take a signal. Will likely
be back to get more. Thanks

Take a look at my page - buy Breast Actives online (tinyurl.com)

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

ralph lauren outlet
adidas wings shoes
cheap ugg boots
wedding dresses uk
ugg boots
tiffany and co
mcm backpack
tory burch outlet online
michael kors handbags clearance
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses
christian louboutin,louboutin,louboutin outlet,louboutin outlet italia,scarpe louboutin
rolex watches
louis vuitton,borse louis vuitton,louis vuitton sito ufficiale,louis vuitton outlet
nike free uk
ugg boots clearance,ugg australia,uggs on sale,ugg slippers,uggs boots,uggs outlet,ugg boots,ugg,uggs
ugg outlet store
abercrombie and fitch
uggs outlet
louis vuitton outlet store
mm1127

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, longchamp outlet, chanel handbags, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, nike roshe, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, jordan pas cher, tiffany and co, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, nike outlet, nike air max, polo outlet, nike free run, louboutin pas cher, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, air max, michael kors pas cher, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, burberry pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp pas cher, ugg boots, nike air max, polo ralph lauren, polo ralph lauren outlet online, oakley sunglasses

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, nike tn, abercrombie and fitch uk, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, true religion outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban pas cher, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, north face, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors, hollister uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, ralph lauren uk, nike air force, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, sac hermes, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe run uk, converse pas cher, nike free uk, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, lululemon canada, kate spade, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, coach outlet, replica handbags, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, hollister pas cher, ray ban uk, north face uk

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, vans, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, ugg uk, louis vuitton, moncler, karen millen uk, canada goose outlet, hollister, gucci, moncler, supra shoes, nike air max, moncler, toms shoes, lancel, ugg, marc jacobs, thomas sabo, barbour, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, louis vuitton, links of london, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour uk, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, montre pas cher, coach outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, ray ban, louis vuitton, moncler, doudoune moncler, canada goose, swarovski crystal, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, replica watches, swarovski, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, hollister, canada goose jackets, canada goose uk, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose, canada goose

 

Post a Comment

<< Home