Monday, May 22, 2006

Mom-isms


Here is my Mom, my sisters and I. I am the fat, butterball turkey in my Mom's arms. I spent time with my Mom this weekend and thought about all the funny things she says. My Mom's language is colorful and full of exaggerations, she cracks me up. Here are some classic "Mom-isms":

"As Tight As A Tick": Mom talking about someone that is cheap. They don't share their wealth, split the bill or leave good tips.

"Fat City, Sin City, Slut City": Any word followed by the word "city" means she feels strongly about it. Fat city is a super sized McDonald's Big Mac meal. When I asked to go to a New Years Eve party in 10th grade, she told me "No, it's nothing but Sin City!" When I tried to wear a tight, spandex skirt with black tights to school, she made me change because I looked like slut city.

"All Hot and Heavy" When I'd have boyfriends come to the house and we'd be watching TV, my Mom would tell me not to get "all hot and heavy". This would really gross me out, my Mom talking to me about sex!

"You are going to rot your teeth right out of your head!" My Mom was a dental hygienist. She has this thing about teeth. I loved to suck on lemons when I was 12 and it would make her crazy.

"You smell like a wet dog or you stink like a skunk" You need to bathe!

"Get Out of Dodge" She knows something bad is going to happen so she is going to avoid it.

"You almost ripped my arm off!" We went for a walk at the park on Friday. I picked up a large stick and was poking it in a tree hollow. My Mom was standing behind me. I moved my hand up the stick and I touched something wet and slimy. I freaked out and dropped stick, it "brushed" my Mom on the arm.

"As mean as a snake" When I'm in a bad mood.

"You look like Clarabell Clown" She thinks I applied too much makeup. Who is Clarabell anyway? Is she even a clown?

"It looks like a mouse danced on your head" When she doesn't like my hair.

"Shape Up or Ship Out" Change your attitude or you'll get smacked.

13 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Janet Edwards said...

It is those random sayings that stick with you for life! My dad's dad had many of them which my dad has uttered to me a million times over the years. Each one of them make me smile now!

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Flo said...

I love the mouse danced on your head - that cracks me up!!!!

Clarabell was Capt. Kangaroo's clown (I'm pretty sure). Oh you younguns' :)

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Funny!!

This has nothing to do with this post, but rather your post from May 7th.

I want you to know how proud I am. I peed in the transition area yesterday. Sitting down. In my bike shorts.

You TOTALLY inspired me.

I just hope nobody slipped in the wet spot.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Pee on the bike!? I *wish*!! It doesn't work for me! I've tried and tried, and it just won't "go"!! That would have saved me at least 3 or 4 minutes yesterday!!!!

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

My wife's family gathered all the Dad-isms from all siblings and put them in a book and gave it to him for Fathers Day. He got a great kick out of it.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger *jeanne* said...

Clarabelle was a COW in Disney cartoons. I don't know about a clown with that name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarabelle_Cow

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

How old *is* Flo? Clarabelle was the clown on Howdy Doody. Before my time!
http://www.knx1070.com/pages/36538.php
says Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo) played him for a while.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger JF said...

Wow! What memories. Some sound like some sayings that my mother said to me!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger 艾丰 said...

jianbin1125
louis vuitton
michael kors outlet store
canada goose jackets
replica handbags
louboutin uk
canada goose sale
michael kors outlet,michael kors outlet online,michael kors,kors outlet,michael kors handbags,michael kors outlet online sale,michael kors handbags clearance,michael kors purses,michaelkors.com,michael kors bags,michael kors shoes,michaelkors,cheap michael kors
cheap oakley sunglasses
nike air max 2014
ugg boots
hollister,hollister canada,abercrombie and fitch,abercrombie,abercrombie fitch,abercrombie kids,a&f
hollister pas cher
oakley
ugg boots outlet
adidas jeremy scott
chanel outlet store online
michael kors outlet sale
moncler jackets
cheap uggs
michael kors handbags
links of london uk
the north face jackets
basketball shoes
north face jackets
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet
louis vuitton outlet store
true religion sale
giuseppe zanotti sale
barbour clothing
ferragamo shoes
air jordan shoes
nike trainers uk
canada goose outlet

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

ralph lauren outlet
adidas wings shoes
cheap ugg boots
wedding dresses uk
ugg boots
tiffany and co
mcm backpack
tory burch outlet online
michael kors handbags clearance
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses
christian louboutin,louboutin,louboutin outlet,louboutin outlet italia,scarpe louboutin
rolex watches
louis vuitton,borse louis vuitton,louis vuitton sito ufficiale,louis vuitton outlet
nike free uk
ugg boots clearance,ugg australia,uggs on sale,ugg slippers,uggs boots,uggs outlet,ugg boots,ugg,uggs
ugg outlet store
abercrombie and fitch
uggs outlet
louis vuitton outlet store
mm1127

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, nike tn, abercrombie and fitch uk, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, true religion outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban pas cher, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, north face, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors, hollister uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, ralph lauren uk, nike air force, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, sac hermes, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe run uk, converse pas cher, nike free uk, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, lululemon canada, kate spade, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, coach outlet, replica handbags, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, hollister pas cher, ray ban uk, north face uk

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, vans, wedding dresses, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, ugg uk, louis vuitton, moncler, karen millen uk, canada goose outlet, hollister, gucci, moncler, supra shoes, nike air max, moncler, toms shoes, lancel, ugg, marc jacobs, thomas sabo, barbour, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, louis vuitton, links of london, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour uk, pandora uk, pandora jewelry, montre pas cher, coach outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose outlet, ray ban, louis vuitton, moncler, doudoune moncler, canada goose, swarovski crystal, juicy couture outlet, converse outlet, replica watches, swarovski, moncler uk, ugg pas cher, hollister, canada goose jackets, canada goose uk, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, canada goose, canada goose

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

air force 1 shoes
nike huarache
oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses wholesale
miami heat jersey
nike trainers
hermes belts
michael kors uk
coach outlet
instyler max

 

Post a Comment

<< Home