Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My Sister, My Tri Friend


My sister did her first triathlon of the season last weekend, in Virginia. She did the Luray Sprint She did well too, she placed 5th in her age group. I shipped her my wetsuit last weekend and her little boy said he loved her new outfit. She probably looked like Catwoman to him! After her successful weekend, I talked her into doing the Tri The Pee Dee sprint with me in July. I'm so excited! I get to race with my sister! Here is my sister, her two kids and my mom after a 10k race in DC.

My sister is 5 years older than I am, I wasn't much fun to hang with until I was 14. When I was 8, I remember begging her to play games with me. My favorite was Clue. She would always win and it would make me mad. One day when we were playing, she had to go to the bathroom. I desperately wanted to win, so I picked up the Top Secret envelope and looked at the cards. It was Mrs. Peacock, with the wrench, in the Ballroom. When she came back, it was my turn. I couldn't wait to win! I told her Mrs.Peacock, wrench, ballroom. My little 8 year old mind didn't think ahead. We'd only been playing for a few minutes and I only had crossed off 3 things from my check list. She knew I had cheated and refused to play Clue with me for one month. I never cheated again. She did ask me to play 52 card pick up during that month. I was so happy she wasn't punishing me anymore, she was going to play cards with me! That was until she threw the deck of 52 cards all over the living room floor and then told me, "Now you get to pick them up!" It wasn't a fun game!

We became good friends when she left for college. When she'd come home during the summer, we'd hang out most of the time. That's when the long bike rides started. I had a piece of shit bike, I think it was a Murray 10 speed. We had no bike shorts(I think I wore jean shorts) and no helmets. It didn't matter thought, we'd ride a trail in Northern Virginia for about 3 hours a day. We always would have an ice cream place in mind for our half way point pit stop. My crotch hurt so bad when we'd get home. We were hot, hungry and tired. We'd grab a bag of Doritos, lay on the floor under the fan and listen to Neil Diamond's "Cracklin Rosie". It was my dad's CD but we were too tired to change it. We'd listen to that song over and over again.

My sister was nice enough to take me on her beach vacations during her college years. The summer I turned 16, she let me get drunk at the beach. It only took three beers and I was plastered. My drunken self decided it would be a good idea to run down to the beach. I didn't make it to the sand, I fell down the stairs and hurt my ankle. I was drunk so it didn't hurt too bad. The next morning, my ankle looked like a purple goose egg. It hurt to put any pressure on it, I could hardly walk. It probably needed medical attention but we were low on funds. I thought soaking it in the ocean would help.

We went to the beach and I gimped into the ocean with my goose egg ankle. I laid on my float and soaked up some rays. I started to come into shore and this hot surfer dude whistled at me and waved. I tried to walk onto shore as gracefully as I could with my broken ankle. Smokin' hot surfer dude was watching me then started walking away from me quickly. My sister was laying on her towel laughing her head off. She said I looked like a fuckin' retard when I gimped out of the water and scared surfer dude away. I can always count on her to be honest!

We've had some great memories and laughs. I can't wait to do this Tri in July with her.. I know something funny will happen, it always does when we are together.

6 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

LOL! Great stories! I heard good things about that Luray race - Go sis!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger MissJenny said...

I love sisters. My sister used to be my biggest enemy and now she's my best friend. That's definitely one of the great things about growing up.

I really wanted to go to Charlie for my bike, especially after reading your positive comments about him. But he's never open late enough!! It takes me an hour to get down there and I don't get off work until 5:30. So that's why I chose to go with IOS.

I wanna ride with you, but I'll be out of town the next three weekends! Though I do have the day off on the Monday after Memorial Day and will be in town if you want to get together.

I really need to get out on some group rides, since it will be scary to do the race if I haven't. I'm always afraid I'm going to run into the person in front of me!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger Janet Edwards said...

These stories are awesome! Sisters rule!

My sis and I are 16 months apart and have forever been best friends. Of course there has always been the fighting over the years about the sharing of clothes, the bathroom, etc.! Yet it has only made us all the closer!

How lucky you are to have the opportunity to share this wonderful sport with your sis!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

ralph lauren outlet
adidas wings shoes
cheap ugg boots
wedding dresses uk
ugg boots
tiffany and co
mcm backpack
tory burch outlet online
michael kors handbags clearance
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses
christian louboutin,louboutin,louboutin outlet,louboutin outlet italia,scarpe louboutin
rolex watches
louis vuitton,borse louis vuitton,louis vuitton sito ufficiale,louis vuitton outlet
nike free uk
ugg boots clearance,ugg australia,uggs on sale,ugg slippers,uggs boots,uggs outlet,ugg boots,ugg,uggs
ugg outlet store
abercrombie and fitch
uggs outlet
louis vuitton outlet store
mm1127

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses wholesale, longchamp outlet, chanel handbags, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, nike roshe, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton, jordan pas cher, tiffany and co, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, gucci handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, nike outlet, nike air max, polo outlet, nike free run, louboutin pas cher, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, air max, michael kors pas cher, tiffany jewelry, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, burberry pas cher, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp pas cher, ugg boots, nike air max, polo ralph lauren, polo ralph lauren outlet online, oakley sunglasses

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

uggs outlet, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, nike tn, abercrombie and fitch uk, burberry handbags, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, true religion outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban pas cher, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, north face, michael kors, burberry outlet, michael kors, hollister uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, polo lacoste, ralph lauren uk, nike air force, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, sac hermes, michael kors outlet online, nike roshe run uk, converse pas cher, nike free uk, sac vanessa bruno, nike air max uk, michael kors outlet online, lululemon canada, kate spade, guess pas cher, mulberry uk, coach outlet, replica handbags, nike blazer pas cher, true religion outlet, timberland pas cher, nike air max, true religion outlet, hollister pas cher, ray ban uk, north face uk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home