Thursday, June 15, 2006

Sick as a Dog




You don't know how thankful I am to not be vomiting every 15 minutes. I feel like I've been put through the spin cycle 20 times but I'm so thankful not to be gagging my head off.


It started yesterday morning at 5am. I had been feeling bad laying in bed around 3 am but I tried to just lay still and take deep breaths. Once I sat up, the vomiting and diarrhea began. I had eaten pizza and blueberries for dinner after my bike ride in the rain that evening with Meg. It obviously just sat in my stomach all night because when I projectile vomited, it was blood red. My husband heard me gagging and ran into the bathroom. "Oh my God! You are vomiting blood!" Then we realized it was just blueberries.

Every 15 minutes, I was vomiting and shitting. I had a bucket in my hands while sitting on the throne. This was worse than chemotherapy. During chemo, I would throw up but not shit at the same time. My husband was great, he would empty out the vomit bucket and hand me washcloths to wipe my snotty and vomity face. The only thing he did that made me want to vomit in his direction was he kept forcing me to drink water or gatorade. I kept throwing it up 10 minutes later. Nothing was staying down, not even my own bile. I felt like I wanted to die. At 10:30, I was just vomiting bright yellow and shitting liquidy intestinal lining. I was so thirsty, a thirst I have never had before. I felt like I had run a marathon in the Sahara. My tongue felt thick, pasty and swollen. Things were blurry, I couldn't stand up for more than one minute.

He said we were going to the hospital at 11am. I was scared, I thought I would shit in the car ride to the hospital. I ask him to wait until I did another gag and shit cycle and he packed me a clean set of jeans and underwear in case I pooped in my pants. It sucked to have no control of my body. It was pouring rain from the tropical storm, and we were hydroplaning during the drive. I made it to the hospital without embarrassing myself and ran into the bathroom when we walked into the door with my trusty vomit pail.

When I got into the exam room, they had trouble getting my blood pressure. Then they told me I needed to pee in a cup. I didn't think I had any pee left. They said if I couldn't pee in a cup, they would have to get a sample with a catheter. OH, hell no! I managed to get a tablespoon of pee out. Then they had to get in IV in, which was fine because I knew I would be getting some saline which would quench my thirst. When they were digging around in my veins I forgot about shitting or vomiting. It's funny how one type of pain can cure another. I got two liters of saline in about 1 1/2 hours. They also gave me some Phenergan in my IV. It made me sleepy and it seemed like everyone was echoing. I stopped throwing up. I was so fucking thankful I wanted to kiss the doctor and the nurse. I said thank you about twenty times.

I feel really tired. I am supposed to go to White Lake this weekend to water ski. I don't know if I feel up to transforming into Gumby again. I'm not supposed to eat any solid foods until the diarrhea stops and it hasn't. I've been eating ice, gatorade, jello and popsicles the last twelve hours. I can't remember the last time I have had the popsicles that are wrapped in plastic. You have to squeeze them like a tube of toothpaste. The purple and red ones are my favorites. While I lay around like and slug and watch TV, commercials about food make my stomach back-flip. I doubt I'll ever eat pizza or blueberries again.

Yesterday was a perfect day to be sick though, we got over 5 inches of rain. Snaggle got the season five of Sex in the City, so I'll probably crunch Sonic's rabbit pellet ice and watch that DVD. I don't care if I had to watch Sesame Street 24/7, as long as I'm not vomiting. Did I tell you I'm so thankful not to be vomiting? :)

8 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds just awful! Well glad to hear you are recovering.

That is so sad that you were ill after pizza and blueberries. Been there, and still have trouble eating what I ate before I got sick and those are two such wonderful things to not be able to eat for some time. Get well soon and way to go to your sweet hubby for taking such good care of you!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Jill said...

What a horrific experience! Glad things are starting to look up. Take it easy and recover properly.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

Graphic and gross post... but I am glad you are doing better. Not that you'd have any lying around the house, but baby rice cereal mixed with water and baby banana food always bring me around like nobody's business when I can't eat solid foods.

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Brett said...

Gosh ... Glad you are feeling better. That sounds terrible.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Well, if you were able to look at your graphic without heaving, you must be getting better!!

Um, probably waterskiing is not a good idea. Okay?

Glad you went to the hospital promptly. You got one of the few good husbands out there. :-)

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

nike air max, kate spade outlet online, longchamp outlet online, tory burch outlet online, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, polo ralph lauren, ray ban outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, true religion, louis vuitton outlet online, kate spade outlet, coach purses, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, christian louboutin outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, red bottom shoes, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, true religion outlet, prada handbags, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet online, nike outlet, michael kors handbags, coach outlet, oakley vault, gucci handbags, nike free, longchamp handbags, coach outlet store online, prada outlet, louis vuitton handbags, burberry outlet online, coach outlet, michael kors outlet store, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, jordan shoes

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

ferragamo shoes
michael kors outlet
rolex watches outlet
tory burch outlet online
michael kors handbags
coach outlet store
mac cosmetics
michael kors outlet online
wellensteyn outlet
michael kors outlet
canada goose outelt
air max 2014
ray ban,rayban,occhiali ray ban,ray-ban,ray ban occhiali,ray ban sunglasses
woolrich outlet store
fred perry polo shirts
michael kors outlet
tiffany outlet
canada goose jackets
oakley outlet store
mizuno running shoes
mm1127

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

coach outlet online coach factory outlet
coach outlets stores
kate spade purses
kate spade handbags outlet
michael kors
Michael Kors Clearance
michael kors selma
Cheap Michael Kors
michael kors handbags on sale
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
michael kors purses
Michael Kors Outlet Online Store
michael kors uk
air jordan
cheap jordans
kobe shoes
kobe 9
nike air max
nike air max 95
nike free 5.0 womens
nike free flyknit
Red Bottom Shoes For Women
christian louboutin outlet
mbt canada
mbt usa
fitflops sale
fitflop sale
Nike Air Huarache
Kobe 9 Elite

 

Post a Comment

<< Home