Tuesday, July 25, 2006

So Long First Place Finishes

I have decided to finish my first year of triathlon racing with a bust. I have two Olympic races left, Bandit's Challenge and Pinehurst. I wrote the race director a few nights ago and asked if I could be moved from novice to age group. I got a reply this morning that I would be switched over and I'll race my last races in 2006 will be in the real triathlon world.

North Carolina has so many talented, tough, competitive men and women triathletes. Maybe it's because we can train all year due to mild winters. I just know I'm in for an ass kicking racing triathlons in NC until I turn 50. Or until I can have a runner's legs' transplant which will make me faster.

I know some will say, it's not about winning. It was fun to win though. It's my nature and drive to want to win. It gave me a high for a few hours. I saw the pride my family had when they'd call my name for my award. All good things must come to an end. It's time to say so long novice Mojo.

I read this quote by Marian Wright Edelman,
"You're not obligated to win. You're obligated to keep trying to do the best you can every day."

Today, I was feeling tired after lifting weights and doing the elliptical at the gym with my Mom. When she left, I seriously considered leaving and not doing my 1700 yard swim. I knew I wouldn't be doing the best thing if I ditched the swim, I'd just be cheating myself. I went and put my swim suit on and jumped in the water.

I had to do 10 x 100 sprints/60 second rest. Around number eight, I thought again about quitting and starting the cool down. I know all those age group winners complete their workouts, you can't win by slacking on workouts. I sucked it up and did an extra 100 for good measure. If I ever want to place in age group, I'll have to trainer harder, become faster and mentally stronger.

I do have doubts though when I look at the top women's run times. I am highly skeptical I could ever keep a 7:30 5k pace, no matter how much I train. I look back at myself this time last year, I couldn't run one mile without stopping to walk. I couldn't swim 100 meters without gasping for breath at the wall. I didn't even own a bike. Maybe my short, slow twitch legs will surprise me. Maybe they'll be able to carry me through a 21 minute 5k this time next year. I love a challenge, so I keep trying until I succeed.

8 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger ShesAlwaysWrite said...

Good for you! I'm nowhere neeear as fast as you, but this year I did the same thing: ditched the Recreational wave and went age-grouper. It was awesome - I'm really glad I did it! Good luck, I know you'll do great!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger JF said...

Great Job Michelle! What a surprise, but I know that it will put some fire up your ass to have some greater competition.

I have no doubt that you will do well!

So, you aren't going to do the Wilm. race in Sept. at Wrightsville Beach? It's in the channel, not ocean. Think about it! About 1,200 people and TONS of fun! Let me know!

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Bolder said...

lemme hear you say 'WAT?'

you are gonna do great in the age groups.

i had to say 'WAT?' when i read that part about 7:30 min/mile 5Ks.

you could do that NOW. if you can run an 8:15'ish after a swim and a bike in Pee Dee, i think you could have turned it up easily for a 7:30 solo 5K.

go try it, report back.

p.s. my 10K pace was 7:36'ish at The Bolder Boulder. if i can do that, you certainly can you young tri stud you.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Janet Edwards said...

Way to go! You have come so far so fast from the sounds of things...no telling on how much further you can go. I think you got a 7:30 pace in the cards!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger TJ said...

there's nothing better than tougher competition to help motivate you to train harder. you'll be beyond your current fitness level and placing in your age group in no time. just don't smoke yourself in the process.
have fun.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I love that quote. So simple, yet so true.

Coming from someone that also couldn't run more than a mile straight not too long ago... there is always hope! :)

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

herve leger dresses
louis vuitton handbags outlet
coach outlet store
ralph lauren outlet
ray-ban sunglasses
kobe bryants shoes
tiffany and co
karen millen uk
coach outlet online
phone cases
rolex uk
nike free 5
swarovski crystal
louis vuitton handbags outlet
ray ban sunglasses
cheap oakley sunglasses
michael kors canada
nba jerseys
mlb jerseys
michael kors handbags
mm1127

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

cheap basketball shoes
nike huarache
cheap jordan shoes
arizona cardinals jerseys
new york jets jerseys
adidas nmd r1
ray bans
ferragamo shoes
fitflops
michael kors outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home