Monday, August 21, 2006

Cabbage Patch Kid Christmas (Cont)

Don read the post and said I didn't finish the story. Then I started reading the comments and they brought back more memories.

Emily and I loved to play with our kids for about two years. We'd take them for walks and I'd put him in Sweet Thunder's basket when I took her for a ride. Once, I crashed Sweet Thunder and Eugene went sailing through the air and lost his baseball cap. He ended up with bad road rash on his bald dome. I put a Band-Aid on his disfigured head.

When I moved to Spain, I played outside a lot more. Once I got a new bike, Eugene was forgotten. I looked for a picture of me and Eugene. I couldn't find one. I did find this picture of my Dad and me, Christmas in Spain.(For all the, "I like your Dad" fans) I got a 10-speed that Christmas. But Dude, check my mullet. Classic 80's.


My Mom did a lot of volunteer work while we moved base to base. She always liked to "run" the thrift shops. She would get so much pleasure out of helping young couples. My mom went to extremes though and would donate our things to the thrift shop. When I didn't show much interest in Eugene, she donated him without asking me about him.

I looked in my closet about a week later and noticed he was missing. When she admitted what she'd done, I got mad. He was special and had history. She felt bad about it. I asked her to bring him back from the shop but she'd already sold him for $2.00.

I still love my Mom even for selling my baby for $2.00. When I found that picture of my Dad above, I found my favorite Christmas picture of me and my mom when I was about 14. Even though I am trying to push her away, we look like we are happy.



And the dictionary? Well, the dictionary became sort of a love bible. My oldest sister started a tradition by writing "Rattlesnake" loves Jason or John or Phil. (My oldest sister's nickname was Rattlesnake)Around the age of the above picture with my Mom, I started writing the names of the boyfriends I was in love with. One boyfriend and I played sexual vocabulary with that dictionary. We would take turns underlining words in the dictionary like: aroused, erection, clitoris, climax) Bet my Dad never thought I'd be using the dictionary for that, huh?

But the sweetest part of the story is a treasure hunt. I told Don about the Eugene story and how he got sold right under my nose. A few weeks later, I woke up and found a card on the coffee pot. "Go To Import Gourmet and Spirits"

Once I got dressed, I drove to the shop and was handed a basket full of tea, coffee, candles, wine, chocolates and champagne. I got another card. "Go to the intimates department at Belk."

There, I was handed a gift bag containing a black lace bra and underwear set and a red lace teddy. I got another card. "Go to Green Valley Florist"

I picked up a dozen salmon colored roses and another card. "Go back home and look behind the couch."

When I got home and looked behind the couch, I saw Eugene Ernie's twin. Identical. The red baseball cap, overalls and green signature. He'd searched the internet and found a match in Kentucky and had him shipped. I got another card. "Go to room number 263 behind the Golden Corral and bring your gourmet basket."

When I arrived at the Hampton Inn, he had the room full of candles and soft music playing. A jacuzzi tub was full of bubbles. He opened the bottle of champagne in the basket and told me to look on the bed. There was a string with a note attached. It said, "Pull me". I reeled in a jewelry box containing white gold diamond earrings. I loved them because I don't care for yellow gold, they are difficult to find in white.

I know I have a wonderful husband. He is Don Juan di Marco. It's the sweetest thing that has ever occurred in my life. I decided to marry him not too long after that.

I gave the new Eugene to Monty. He was a bad boy and ripped him up. The only thing that was left besides mountains of fluff was the plastic bowling ball bald head.

10 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Bolder said...

that was a great part deux!

well done Don!!

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Don sounds like a great catch. He would put a lot of guys (myself included) to shame! Good for him!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Way to go Don!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Dori said...

Great stories! Who wouldn't marry a guy like that. I love your creative use of the dictionary. Hope your dad doesn't read your blog. :-)

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Another excellent story from Mojo. Before I got near the end I remembered that in your story about getting better you said that you knew Don was good enough to be your husband. I still really love that line and I'm glad he is your husband.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger :) said...

Thanks for the ideas, Don!!!

Your posts always make me laugh...

Thanks.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Heck, *I* want to marry him after that!!

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Don should teach "romance and showmance classes". What a guy!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

oh wow, if my husband ever does something like that I would be so excited!!! How romantic!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Did I ever tell you about the time my mother sold my bed? Yes, my bed. The one I was supposed to be sleeping in. She sold it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home