Thursday, August 10, 2006

I Made it Through the Class

Today, I rested to prepare for Saturday's race. I packed, swept the floors, mopped them with bleach, washed all the bed linens and I went to a yoga class! When I get a massage, my therapist always gets mad at me about not stretching enough. She has asked me to go to yoga classes. I never tried it until today.

Yoga classes remind me of nap time in pre-school. A darkened room, laying on a mat and someone talking in a soft voice telling me to quiet my mind and relax. Maybe that's the" gyno" talk. I am afraid I'll fall asleep and start drooling during class. I expect the instructor to hand out orange juice and graham crackers when I'm done.

Today, I made it through the entire class without snoozing. I felt very tired when I was done though, like I needed a nap. It also gave me a slight headache. I'm not a headachy person either! I think I try too hard to relax and I give myself brain overload.

I'm headed to the mountains tomorrow. I'm still scared but I'm going fight through my first age group race and try my best. I was disappointed to find out I'll be wearing a yellow swim cap. I really wanted to wear a pink cap for Bolder .

Any advice about nutrition for an Olympic race? I already bought some Uncrustables and Ensure that Nancy talked about on her blog. I'll eat this in the morning, pre-race. Would two gels and water during the race be enough? One gel on the bike, one on the run?

Tonight, I'm going to eat some scrumpdiddlydumpcious lobster and artichoke/cheese ravioli. Yummy, yummy for my tummy. Is it dinner time yet?

11 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

I did fine on 2-3 gels on the bike in Olympic plus gatorade and water, but to each her own! Good Luck!

 
At 4:14 PM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

You call that a rest day?
You have to borrow from the library The trainer's edge, Long and lean yoga with Baron Baptiste. This guy is great! You will feel strong and relaxed.
Gels: I do it with 3. One about 30 minutes before the swim. Second one at the start of the bike ride and the third one at the end of the bike ride. I only drink water on the bike ride. Have a great race. I will also race on Sunday.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Bolder said...

i think a gel on the run, and one on the bike is a great idea, if you only need like 200 calories a day, as opposed to say minimum 200 calories an hour! (300-325 cals/hr for me per coaches orders)

i boarded onto my bike (2) Powerbar Gels which totalled 200 calories/400mg sodium, (2) 24 oz Gatorade Endurance totalling 300 cals/1200mg sodium, and 24oz of water to wash down the gels (don't use Gatorade), (6) 100mg sodium capsules, and (1) Powerbar gel on the run for 100 cals/200mg sodium. For the 3 hours I was racing that's 600 calories/2400mg sodium plus whatever I got in gatorade from the run stations which wasn't that much. My target was 900cals/3000mg sodium.

i did one gel before the swim like papa (actually it was Cliff Blox which are a gel equivalent.)

one gel as soon as i got on my bike, both GEs on the bike, one gel about 10 minutes before the run. 3 sodium on bike.

one gel at the halfway point on the run. 3 sodium on run.

dial that in baby!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

You need a calculator to figure out your nutrition if you're from Colorado.

I say just take whatever you'll really eat that won't give you stomach cramps. And take lots and lots of sodium if it's hot.

On the bike I like to have a little rolling smorgasbord, myself. Nuts and apricots and powerbars and whatever else sounds good.

And don't blame me if the Uncrustables don't work. :-)

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Mojo said...

Yea, Dude.. Bolder, I am not all about the math. I will actually take a picture right this moment to explain.

I have two vanilla and one Expresso Gu. Can you help?

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

I took a yoga class once. When we got to the part where you relax your body the guy started at the feet. "Relax feet... relax, relax" and started working up. We did calves, knees, thighs, hips and then.... and I'm not kidding -he said 'relax small intestine, relax, relax,... relax large instestine, relax, relax... relax kidney, relax, relax" but of course I was laughing too hard to relax. And then I fell asleep.

If you only have 2 gels be sure to eat a banana before you leave the house and also keep a cliff bar or something with you on the bike. That should do it.
Good luck!

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Michael Lardizabal said...

Gel Schmell !!

I'd pack some of those Tacos you made a while back.

That way you can fart at all the drafters on the bike and maybe even the run !!!

Kick some bootaay !

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Mojo said...

LOL, Fish! The farts were from Bran cereal and Activa yogurt at night. I remember..

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger MissJenny said...

You are going to be amazing! Good luck!!!!!!!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Chris said...

I think you'd be good enough to have a good breakfast and then to just take some nutrition on the bike. A well run race should have Gatorade for you out there on the run course, but chances are you probably won't need it?

Best of luck!! :)

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Will Kick Ass!!
Rip it up Mojo!
We're all behind you with powerful goods thoughts and wishes!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home