Thursday, August 03, 2006

It's Never Easy

I put an ad in the newspaper yesterday for goats. I need to sell the boys because they are getting horny. They are starting to pee in their beard, snort, stick their tongue out and they try to mount. I don't want any girls bred yet. If they were bred now, that would mean they would give birth in January. I like them to kid in March.

I have to cut down the herd, you can't keep them all. I sold nine goats today. Deciding which females will be sold is difficult. I always feel like I'm playing God. "Your life will be spared because you have better udders."

I got a phone call and a family offered me a good deal on all the goats. They want them for food. It much easier for me to sell them all at once. Because when I sell one or two at a time, I just suffer longer. I just have to "steel" myself.


Tonight, I caught the boys for the last time. I fed them all some golden delicious apples. I gave them their last sweet feed meal. The most difficult goat to say good-bye to was Fancy Pants. She just stood there when I to catch her and let me lead her by the collar. It was almost as if she knew this was her last walk with me through the green pasture.


I thought it would get easier. This is the third season I have sold the goats knowing they will be dinner. It's not easy. I feel like a hypocrite sometimes. I eat chicken, beef, pork and fish. I know my goats will provide an extremely healthy feast for many people. I still feel wrong about people eating the goats I helped deliver. My emotions can change so quickly. Just four hours ago, I was wearing lingerie for my husband and feeling sexy. Now, I'm sweaty with goat stench and feel guilty.



We loaded them up and I got paid. (notice horn dog's tongue sticking out) I looked in the back of the trailer one more time and told them "Sorry little babies". I hope I was a good Mom to them while they were here, I will miss them. It still doesn't help. I hope I'm not going to hell for all this sacrificing of beautiful animals. I'm going to have some gin and tonic now.

7:46pm
Had some gin and tonic and have a rant:

Please don't come to my farm and pick up my animals and ask, "Can I slit their throat or tie their legs up and throw them in a pick-up to get them home?"

No, I loved them. I want to see them leave me alive and know I did my best while caring for them. I'll give you our pick-up and trailer to take them, safely. I am too much of a whimp to watch the death.

9 Comments:

At 9:18 PM, Blogger Michael Lardizabal said...

Wow- that happened fast. .It was just the other day you mentioned you needed to sell them.

Hopefully the G&T will ease the pain a bit.

Never a dull moment in the life of TriMojo ; )

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Oh man - that's tough. But it's all part of the circle of life, right?

 
At 2:56 AM, Blogger Julia said...

Curious: is goat meat good? I eat meat but could never watch a killing of it or see my pets taken away...

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Folks seem to have a hard enough time when their pets die. I can't imagine raising animals knowing that you have to experience that so many times over. :/

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

Maybe you should have the mentality of a step mom with the animals. If you claim to be their mom then a deeper relationship exsists. Or you can view the animals as a commodity for your business.

 
At 5:13 PM, Blogger Mojo said...

Not sure about the taste of goat meat, Julia. Never tried it. I hear that it is a cross between venison and beef. I'm sure it's awesome meat, baby goats fed milk and oat hay, fresh pasture. I need a few more years to take that step.


You are right Papa Louie, the livestock agent is always getting frustrated with me. He says,
"Give them a number, not a name."

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Bolder said...

we do what we have to do for ourselves, and our family.

sometimes, it is a jagged little pill, and it doesn't go down easy. you live, and you learn.

but, there are some things -- civilians is what i call them --just don't have to see.

you've seen enough already moj'ee.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger E-Speed said...

goodness I thought I was done crying today after reading your other post. I don't know how you can do it girl. If someone said something like that to me I would have slapped them. I know it's just how it works but I am too big of a sissy. I could never be a farmer, I would just keep getting more and more animals and no money to feed them.

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

pandora bijoux
ugg australia
true religion outlet
air force
replica watches
nike free
roty burch outlet
marc by marc jacobs
brazil world cup jersey
jordan
2018.3.20chenlixiang

 

Post a Comment

<< Home