Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Pain In My Ass

Yesterday afternoon, Don left to take the garbage to the dump. He was gone for almost two hours. When he returned, he wheeled a road bike into the house. A Fuji Robiax Pro? I was stunned. Quite shocked. I was excited though because I would have a new riding friend. I really don't like riding my bike alone out in the country. Mostly because of all the dogs. I was also proud of him for buying and item that will help keep him healthy.

When we talked about the ride today, he had grandiose plans. We'd go by the bike shop, then ride to his Mom's house and come back home. I'll was all up for it. I even brought some money so we could stop by Subway for lunch. I filled up our water bottles and we headed out the door.

He didn't buy shoes or clips yet, he's using the "basket" pedals. He got shorts and a helmet though. I wasn't going fast today. I'm weight training pretty heavy right now. Yesterday was leg day. I leg pressed 175x12, 185x10, 190x8 and 200x6. A new personal record. I increased all my weights in lifting legs yesterday so I was gimping around this morning. We only averaged 13mph. It was my "active recovery".

I have to say this.. Men are the biggest cry babies ever! After mile number three, all I heard was complaining about ass pain. We had to stop once so he could get his butt off the seat. I just had to keep encouraging him to turn the cranks. Keep on spinning, keep on spinning.

We didn't make it to Subway, the bike shop or his Mom's house. He said if we went to Subway, then I would ride home and come pick him up in the van. I didn't want to ride alone because of the dog situation. He wasn't helpful in that department during the ride.

I was excited about having a new riding pal because I loathe all the stray dogs that chase me in the country. When the little Jack Russell Terror dog comes running out on our road, what does my husband do? He growls at it which makes it more aggressive and the little bitch starts chasing my wheels. My husband just watches, chuckling while I scream at the evil little dog.

I felt vindicated though. I had my moment when he said, "I have so much more respect for you now. I could never ride 56 miles and then run 13."

We did a total of 15 miles.

And then he came to the pool with me tonight and told me my swim stroke was "beautiful".

He wanted me to ask about his butt pain. I vaguely remember crotch pain in the beginning. I think women are better at blocking out pain though. My advice was just spending more time in the saddle. Any advice from the male point of view?

I may have a triathlete in the making!

19 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Unless he's a colossal wimp, it's probably a bad saddle fit for him. You might try some of the saddle variations with cutouts.... perhaps ask at the local bike shop to try out some different models.

I know I couldn't go more than 10 or 15 miles on the saddle that came with my bike, it was like sitting on a razor blade!

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

See also http://www.performancebike.com/shop/sub_cat.cfm?subcategory_id=10050
for a bunch on sale....

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

Funny how it took pain for him to actually appreciate the difficulty of a triathlon. Very cool that you now have a biking partner.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Maybe you need to go on a ride with a squirt gun full of soapy water or something. Yappy little dogs can be trained!

I agree that Don should try some different saddles. I also agree he should suck it up and just keep riding until he gets a tougher hide.

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Ken and Meg said...

TITS, Don - TITS.
(Time In The Saddle). TITS will make him feel much better! I'm so proud of you Don! Maybe you can influence my hubby!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Bolder said...

well, i have a legendary ass, so it is hard to speculate...

but, since i'm pressed into action, i will say this about that...

the first time, is usually the worst.

but, looking at the fuji website (that's a mucho hawt bike, well done Mr. Mojo!) it suggests the stock saddle is a Fuji Ultralite Racing which sounds pretty uncomfortable/minimalist.

also, check if they adjusted the seat height for him...

and, finally, maybe he was hoping this was just a massage sitchyation...

it's a wonderful step for him towards bettering his health, and sharing in one of your passions!

 
At 3:03 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Like the others have said, it's probably time in the saddle and possible the saddle itself. It's a little odd to experience pain just after three miles? I think I could ride on the seat post without a saddle for three miles. :P

If he has dumbness or anything like that, I'd swap out saddles asap. But if it's just sore like a bruise, he might just need more time?

I dunno. I'm not a bike fitter, but I'd probably give the saddle a few more tries before buying a new one. Just to see if it gets better on its own.

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Brett said...

That's pretty cool. Glad you are getting hubby into the action! My ass hurt like hell the first few rides I did. I don't think the saddle is the problem. He will get used to it. You just have to tough it out for the first few rides. Tell him after a few rides, his ass will be the least of his worries. :)

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

If he is having pain it might be the seat is not adjusted right. The seat could go forward or backward. Tell him I can go butt naked and it doesn't hurt. And if you want him to come back riding with you you be nice to him. He might get intimidated with you tell him he's a whinner. Men hate to admit that a woman could be stronger then them. Although he is humbled at your strength and endurance. Keep up the good work on winning him over.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Fe-lady said...

I would suggest a split saddle if he continues to have problems!

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with evreyone else.
The saddles that come with your new bike usually look good but feel like crap after the first few miles.
I think that's how they get rid of the bad ones, they put them on new bikes!
Have him get a different saddle, adjust it well, level it, and then it's just time in the saddle.
Oh, and a really good pair of bike shorts help a lot.
Don't go cheap.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger John said...

I agree with the others, a properly fit bike and saddle time should resolve it. It did for me.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Robin said...

New saddle (not the one that came with that bike), then time in that new saddle.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Iron Pol said...

Lots of saddle comments, I'll tackle the dogs. First and foremost with dogs is there sense of the situation.

I've always been good with dogs, and have a friend that is totally freaked out by all but the most familiar of dogs. I can usually pet any dog. He tends to get bit.

However, some dogs are just stupid. For them, I suggest a small squirt gun or bottle, but not with straight water. Go with ammonia (straight or watered down). A direct hit will send them scampering and anything close will give good warning.

That said, I still think it's mostly confidence and letting them know you're in charge. When all else fails, run them over.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger MissJenny said...

HELLOOO??? I miss you. I think I might be experiencing withdrawals. It huurrrTTTSSSS!!

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger The Big Cheese said...

Most men are not accustomed to a long phallic object press against our ass and taint...Most men.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wealthy woman seeking man

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger 艾丰 said...

jianbin1125
louis vuitton
michael kors outlet store
canada goose jackets
replica handbags
louboutin uk
canada goose sale
michael kors outlet,michael kors outlet online,michael kors,kors outlet,michael kors handbags,michael kors outlet online sale,michael kors handbags clearance,michael kors purses,michaelkors.com,michael kors bags,michael kors shoes,michaelkors,cheap michael kors
cheap oakley sunglasses
nike air max 2014
ugg boots
hollister,hollister canada,abercrombie and fitch,abercrombie,abercrombie fitch,abercrombie kids,a&f
hollister pas cher
oakley
ugg boots outlet
adidas jeremy scott
chanel outlet store online
michael kors outlet sale
moncler jackets
cheap uggs
michael kors handbags
links of london uk
the north face jackets
basketball shoes
north face jackets
michael kors outlet
ugg outlet
louis vuitton outlet store
true religion sale
giuseppe zanotti sale
barbour clothing
ferragamo shoes
air jordan shoes
nike trainers uk
canada goose outlet

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger jeje said...

xiajinyi
Célébrités telles que Def Jam Recordings? Président, Pharell Williams du duo hip hop productions, Neptunes, Fall basket nike cortez kaki Out Boy et rap-artiste Lil Wayne, Young Jeezy et le Clipse, le chanteur de R & B J. John Stetson est né au New Jersey en 1830. Le fabricant a réussi à introduire quelque chose qui n'avait pas été fait auparavant. Vous allez utiliser ce sujet un peu (j'espère), assurez-vous que c'est quelque chose qui attire votre attention. Certains d'entre eux produiront des chaussures qui, dans le passé, n'étaient pas le marché de Nike Shox Deliver. Il dispose d'un pilote en composite titane 460cc utilisant un arbre en graphite, des bois de parcours en asics gel kayano evo avis acier inoxydable avec des arbres métalliques et deux hybrides en acier inoxydable faciles à frapper.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home