Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Running Coach for Dummies

Alright, FlatmanI'm throwing down the gauntlet! After reading Nancy's post, we all want to see the ten pounds of muscle. Cuba said, "Show me the muscle-y"!







After my race on Saturday, my husband said, "I could see you running from over 500 yards away. It's easy to spot you because nobody runs like you do."

I should have left it at and just thought I ran "special". I just had to ask, "What is that supposed to mean?"

He replied, "You shuffle but run on your toes and you take baby steps."

Wonderful. Sounds like I look about as graceful as a sloth while running. Then I had a flashback to when I was five. My sisters always used to say I was mentally retarded because I walked on my tip-toes.

Can your running style and form be changed? It's hard for me to walk any differently. That is like training myself to speak with a Canadian accent. Who exactly would I go to to get running form help? I'd really like to look like a gazelle running if possible.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legs and ABs
Leg Extensions (2 sets Warm-up) 12x50lbs, 12x50lbs

Squats (5 sets) 12xbar+50, 12xbar+50, 12xbar+60, 12xbar+60, 12xbar+70

Sled 45 degree Lying Leg Press (4 sets) 12x90lbs, 12x90lbs, 12x110lbs, 12x110lbs

Leg Extensions (3 sets) 12x70lbs, 12x75lbs, 12x80lbs

High Step Ups (4 sets) 12x(2)15lb dumbbells, 16x(2)15lb dumbbells, 20x(2)15lb dumbbells, 20x(2)15lb dumbbells

Lying Leg Curls (3 sets) 12x40lbs, 12x45lbs, 12x45lbs

Straight Leg Dead Lifts (3 sets) 12xbar, 12xbar+20, 12xbar+20

Adductor (3 sets) 12x80lbs, 12x90lbs, 12x100lbs

Abductor (3 sets) 12x80lbs, 12x90lbs, 12x90lbs

20 min. of Cathe Friedrich's Core Max segment 3 DVD.

15 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

The Running BlogFather is always talking about this Pose method so I guess you can change your form but why bother? It's all about time, right?

Your weight routine looks hard core. Do you go to the gym?

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Brett said...

Go to the bookstore and buy Chi Running. Sounds hokey, but it really helped me. In fact, I took a class on it after reading the book. It is a lot like the Pose Method, in fact, just about the same thing, except the Chi Running has the cool eastern philosophy thing going for it. Go buy it and follow it to the letter. Your calves were hurt for awhile as you adapt, but it is well worth it IMO.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Brett said...

I went back and looked at my blog. Here is a post I wrote on it. I'm telling you it works!

http://nograb-ass.blogspot.com/2005_06_01_nograb-ass_archive.html

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Gazelle running. Have you considered wearing an antler hat?

I'm a *huge* skeptic about Pose and Chi and all that other change-your-form stuff. But it's popular, certainly.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Mojo said...

Yes, 21st century mom, I go to the gym. I wish I had all that equipment at home!

Thanks for the tip, Brett. I believe it's helped you. You were flying at Bandit's.

Nancy, I have never seen a gazelle hat. I do have a reindeer antler headband I torture the dog with at Christmas. Maybe that'll do. I wouldn't mind being called, Dasher, Prancer, Vixen or Blitzen.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Michael Lardizabal said...

Nice Guns !

As far as changing your running biomechanics- I did .

Sort of had to as I was a heel striker for years and once I started doing marathons I was always suffering some type of injury.

Did a run camp and got video taped and eventually learned how to land on the balls of my feet.

Chi and Evolution running are very effective.

I dig ripped chickas !!! keep it up .

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Bolder said...

i completely changed my run for triathlon.

didn't know that i was a loping bouncy kinda guy.

shorter strides, 90 cadence just like on the bike, and pretending i was trying to run in a room with a low ceiling.

less injuries, less pronation, less heel rub, more forefoot landing than heel, and faster times!

plus, when i get to the final sprint to the finisher's chute, i get to open up my stride, and i suddenly feel transformed from marathoner, to track stud!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Okay, Okay - I stand corrected. There is a point to changing your running style and I'm sure I could use it - but not until after my sprint tri. Now is not the time.

Let us know how that goes if you try it Mojo.

ps - nice biceps! Very impressive.

 
At 4:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mojo,
Is that a rock on your arm?
Don't hit me ok?
When I say "rock on!" now I know you got da stuff!
LOL

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Julia said...

You CAN change your running style but you need someone competent to look at how you run now to decide what you need to change. Then it take another few years to really make those changes. It can be done though

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger E-Speed said...

remind me not to get in a spat with you biceps!!!

You're a toe runner! That just means you don't need expensive fancy running shoes right?

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Kim said...

holy f*$king $hit, you are DIESEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Born To Endure said...

I just started reading the Chi running book..liking it so far! Those guns are amazing...great work girl!!

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Nice arms!

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger qcmier said...

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

Yes you can alter your running style/form. I did only because I was getting injured on a chronic basis.

Nice bicep!!! What about the quads and calves?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home