Tuesday, October 10, 2006

First Thing I Learned This Season

Here's the big reason I don't like racing; pre-race jitters. About two days before a race, I feel anxious. The night before a race, I cannot sleep. I will wake about ever hour to check the time. The morning of the race, I have a difficult time swallowing down food even though I need it. On the ride to the race, I don't feel like talking. Ten minutes before the race I can't decide if I need to poop or throw-up.

Everything I feel pre-race is opposite of who I am and what I normally feel. I usually sleep like a rock, I like to eat, I love to talk to Don and my poop schedule is pretty normal and I rarely throw up. Why do I change so much? I don't enjoy feeling so nervous! I don't even know what I'm so upset about.....

Maybe I'm scared of not know what will happen? Like at Kure Beach, I doubted I could even finish the swim. I stood on the beach watched the giant waves bring the buoys back. I was scared of those waves. What would they feel like crashing on my body?

My emotional relief finally comes when I jump into the water to swim. Whether it was in a calm pool or the violent ocean, I instinctively know what to do. Kick, pull, breathe. Everything becomes very simple and easy. My mind is free of chatter and I'm back to myself.

I learned this season that I am not a "seasoned competitor." I need a Prozac patch pre-race. Freas was one of the most fun people to race with this season. She would help me chill more and laugh pre-race. She is a natural athlete. She enjoys the competition but can still be fun. I'll never forget her waking me up on a few race mornings,

"Rise and shine! Wake-y, Wake-Y! Good Morning, sunshine!"

It was 5am and she didn't even have any coffee. That's Freas though, a real positive person. She deserves the be ranked #1 Athena in the NC series standings for 2006. Go Freas-y!

I need to learn how to not take triathlon so seriuosly. I work myself up about races and it takes the fun out of it.

13 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Blogger Wrenched Photography said...

Heh/ I know how you feel. The night before my 1st tri (which was this year) I got maybe 2 hours of sleep. Good luck next season!

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger TriDaddy said...

"Everything becomes very simple and easy. My mind is free of chatter and I'm back to myself"... that's why I love racing and hate training.

Congrats on a great first season!

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy do I hear you! It goes the same way for me at inline races.
Now I have to admit, my jitters are not as bad as they used to be, I don't have to pee every two minutes, but I still feel like a gorilla is sitting on my chest.
Makes it almost impossible to do my best but that's the challenge for me, keep moving forward dispite the pressure.
Well done on achieving your goal this season!
Next year will be even better!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

Hey Mojo!!

Here's a great GOAT story for you:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/10/061010-goats-history.html

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Fe-lady said...

I still get nervous beofore a race and have #93 coming up this weekend! I LOVE the competition to, so have to believe it's just a personality thing, and being nervous is just part of who I am and if I wasn't nervous, I really shouldn't be there. And I am highly "seasoned" It all comes together once the race starts tho-just like you said. Then we are in our elements- and having fun! Enjoy it all...even the time off!

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Michael Lardizabal said...

Way to end a very impressive 1st season. Dont know too many Tri-Chickas that tackled a HIM in their newbie year,and did that well.

By the way- loved the play by play on soap making.Good stuff !

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger JF said...

Thanks babe for the talk today and for putting me in your blog! That is so sweet! Maybe I will keep up the blogging on an every other day basis. Check mine out! I added something tonight! Love you girl! I am so proud of you!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger FTL said...

I stumbled across your blog and noticed your comment
I raise Oberhasli dairy goats and sell goats milk soaps and bath & body products.
which reminded me of a site i found when trying to find a place in Tuscany where large amounts of Chianti Classico could be had. Your long lost Italian sister perhaps....

http://www.chianticashmeregoatfarm.com/
http://chianticashmere.com/skincare/index.html

I enjoy your blog by the way. Being from Carolina, you need to checkout http://www.rnrhalf.com. Not far from Carolina and its a blast. 20,000 of your closest friends. Great party. And a chance at putting the Kenyans & Russians in their place.

Arrivederci

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

More soap posts, please!!! :)

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

MOJO! For some reason your blog just showed up 'unread' in my bloglines. I've missed you!

I am nervous almost every day that I want to work out. I'm always afraid I can't do it. Fortunatly races are not incredmentally more scary because I'm not really competitive - I just do it for fun.

I think my new goal is to take regular workouts in stride and get nervous for races. Thanks for the idea. That's hot.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

ps - speaking of soap... you still haven't told me how to get my hands on some of yours. You must sell it somewhere, eh? {tap, tap, tap} tapping toes, crossing arms, looking sideways and waaaaiiiiting.....

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger mmjiaxin said...

cheap jordan shoes
north face outlet store
ralph lauren outlet
ray ban outlet
winter coats
ugg boots
lacoste pas cher
coach outlet
ralph lauren,polo ralph lauren,ralph lauren outlet,ralph lauren italia,ralph lauren sito ufficiale
the north face outlet
snapbacks wholesale
nfl jerseys
coach outlet online
ray-ban sunglasses
pandora outlet
uggs outlet
louis vuitton outlet online
ed hardy clothing
tods outlet
snow boots
mm1127

 

Post a Comment

<< Home