Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year

Guess how I rang in the New Year?

Did I throw a huge party?
Nope, I'm the more private type.

Did my husband and I go out for a romantic dinner?
No, I'm still recovering from the flu, food isn't a top priority right now.

Did I drink myself silly at home?
Nah, Nyquil and alcohol don't mix.

Did I watch the ball drop in NY?
I was fast asleep at 12am.

So, what did I do? I delivered a baby goat! One of our young does went into labor last night. She was a first time Mom and gave birth to a healthy baby boy. This boy wanted to be born in 2006 not 2007. Mama went into labor around 7:30pm. I let her push for over an hour but she wasn't making much progress. The baby was in the correct "dive" position but he is BIG. She couldn't clear the shoulders so I had to help. When she'd have a contraction, I'd pull one leg then the other to help his shoulders clear the cervix.


Mama and baby and doing very well, he was trying to walk two minutes after delivery. They are locked in the upper part of the barn because it was wet and rainy last night and more rain today. When it dries up, I'll let them out into the pasture for a real photo shoot. A great, healthy, sober surprise to end the year!

11 Comments:

At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

New life for the New Year!
Go life go!!
Glad things went well for both Mom and son :)
Nothing better to see then a brand new healthy baby goat or lamb..
I do miss those events from my farm days..
Good memories :)
Hope you feel better real soon.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

What a great way to start the New Year! New life. How amazing that you know how to help.

Happy New Year!

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Nancy Toby said...

What a cutie!!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Oh - how sweet!!

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

What a huge baby! No wonder she had problems pushing by herself. What a beautiful start to the new year.

Happy 2007!

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Bolder said...

i was going to birth a goat for New Year's Eve, then changed my mind at the last minute...

HAPPY NEW YEAR MOJIE!

may 2007 be your best.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Brett said...

I wish I could say my New Year's Eve was that exciting. Nothing like delivering a goat to ring in the New Year! :)

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Michael Lardizabal said...

Hey M-

What a cool way to bring in the New Year ! A new life.

I think your plan of spending more time with your husband is very selfless and admirable. He's a lucky man.

Maybe you'll be able to sneak in a race or 2 though....as the key is balance. Good to see you're posting again and good luck with the soap line in 2007.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

What a memorable moment! You were blessed to be there for the delivery.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Does that make this the year of the goat?

Stay tuned...

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

longchamp bags
cardinals jersey
rolex replica watches
jimmy choo shoes
miami dolphins jerseys
adidas nmd
boston celtics
fitflops sale clearance
polo ralph lauren
cheap michael kors handbags

 

Post a Comment

<< Home