Thursday, January 04, 2007

Harder To Get Into Than Fort Knox

I went to the local hospice office yesterday to pick up the paper work for volunteering. There is a lot more to becoming a volunteer than I expected. Background checks, driving history check, references, training and possibly vaccinations. At first, I was taken by surprise. All this just to volunteer? As I was filling out paper work, I started to understand why they require it.

I don't think my Mom would have wanted to leave Bob with any old Tom, Dick or Harry. I think if you are a hospice volunteer, it's an honor. People are trusting you to come in their lives and help during a very venerable, needy time. You don't want some crazy in your home stealing things or someone that's had three DUI's driving you to a doctor's appointment.

Some questions on the application. What skills/interests do you have? Guess which ones I checked? Computer, I am a notary and the best one they had on there? Pet therapy! Couldn't you see me bringing a baby goat to see someone? Or my Beloved Bed Hog Boy? That's right up my alley! Maybe if someone had a mouse problem, I could bring the murderous kitty with me. She could show off her hunting talents to the public!

For areas of interest, keep your britches on because I checked a lot of options and added an "other". One on one visits, shopping for patient, community outreach, monthly volunteer newsletter, providing respite care. My favorite one listed, cooking and baking! Oh yes, I could be Betty Crocker for someone else. I love to cook. And one I listed under "other", housekeeping! I could have my cleaning binges in a new home. Something about cleaning is so great, after I'm done I feel such a sense of accomplishment. I have toyed with the idea of being a house cleaning lady. Now, I could fulfill that need on a volunteer level. The box I did not check for areas of interest, child care and gardening.

The only thing that bothered me filling out all these forms was the hepatitis B vaccine. I have a problem with vaccinations because I my body tends to react to them poorly. Last year, I cut my hand on a knife and had to get stitches and a tetanus shot. The next day, I had the most awful neck and jaw pain and a temperature of 103. It lasted only 12 hours but I had some sort of reaction. I couldn't lift my arm for days either. Hopefully, I can sign some sort of waiver declining the vaccine.

Now, I need to meet with the coordinator and they will do some screening and call my references. Hopefully, all will go well and I'll be good enough to become a volunteer. I feel really excited about this new door opening in my life. I think it will bring me a lot of fulfillment. Hopefully, I will be able to touch the lives of others in a positive way.

5 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger Bolder said...

i think you would be a great hospice volunteer... hope you included me in your references!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

You will be an awesome volunteer. You have a heart of pure gold. I am sure they will get great comfort from having you near them in their time of need.

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

You would be such a great hospice volunteer! I think I've said this before but the hospice people who helped us with my Mom were real life angels. They were so important to us. I can so see you in that role.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Jill said...

You have already touched others in a positive way!! Now you will be just touching more!

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger ShesAlwaysWrite said...

I had the same reaction when I first started working with an organization that provides assistance to seniors who need a little help to remain living independently - I wondered why they were so picky when they're always short on volunteers. But I figured it out pretty quickly and feel the same about it as you - these families are trusting the volunteers with their loved ones and it's an honor to help them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home