Friday, January 05, 2007

Remembering the Simple Pleasures

My state of mind has changed in the last few months. For some reason last year, everything seem rushed. I always felt like I was under some sort of pressure, like fighting against life. I have a hard time putting it into words. I was so busy trying to become someone or something that I lost myself. I stopped being grateful.

I now have peace of mind. I can't really tell you how it happened. There was no defining moment when I light bulb went off and I said, "Ah-HA! This is what I have needed." I'm finally happy with just being myself and I no longer have the need to prove anything to anyone. Because I wasn't happy myself, it was hard to be kind to others. I find myself smiling, complimenting and chatting with strangers now. Just last night, I wrote a letter to the owner of the gym I use raving about an employee that is a hard worker. I doubt I would have done that a year ago, I would have been too busy thinking about myself.

Last year, I forgot about the small things that made me happy. When we first moved to the farm, I used to take the goats of a walk or spend time handing out treats every evening. Last week, I started this evening ritual once again and I forgot how good it made me feel.



Don has started coming out with me every evening too. Not only do the goats enjoy this bonding time but Monty, Missy and the kitties love it too.


It's almost if they put on a show for us. The goats jump around doing Vanilla Ice moves, the kitties run through the pasture like a bat out of hell, Monty rolls around in the grass with a big grin.


Away from the TV, computer, telephone and radio I am able to just enjoy nature and the animals. I now realize how lucky I truly am.




Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough, and more.
It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order, confusion to clarity.
It can turn a meal into a feast,
a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.
Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today,
and creates a vision for tomorrow.
~Melody Beattie

9 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger FINN said...

your goats are darling -- just looking at 'em makes me smile. simple pleasures, sure, but sometimes Simple is the hardest thing of all.

do you think that having gotten thru another holiday crush has anything to do w/your new-found peace?

i wish you well in '07.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger :) said...

...Vanilla Ice moves. I love it...

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Reading this post is such an excellent way to start my day! Thanks for putting those thoughts into words!

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Because I wasn't happy myself, it was hard to be kind to others.

That is so true. I'm glad you have come into your own and want to share yourself with everyone around you. Their lives are richer for it.

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joy to the world!
Joy "in" the world!
It's all around us, every moment,
we just need to pause and touch it..
Love the "family" walk you all take.
Happy people, happy critters!

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Trisaratops said...

So cute! Love their "Vanilla Ice" moves. :)

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Fe-lady said...

Testing...didn't accept the 1st comment...

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Fe-lady said...

OK then...
Thanks for sharing your pixs and your stories...it's always the little every day things that make it all worth while, isn't it!?

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

cheap oakley sunglasses
yeezy boost 350 white
cincinnati bengals jerseys
gucci outlet
oklahoma city thunder jerseys
michael kors handbags
reebok outlet
houston texans jerseys
chicago bulls jersey
lions jerseys

 

Post a Comment

<< Home