Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Oh, the Places You Will Go!

Today is a big day for Snag! She went to Raleigh this afternoon to take her ASVAB and enter DEP. (The Marine's Delayed Entry Program) That means, she will leave for bootcamp when she graduates next summer. I'm still in a bit of shock about how quickly it has occurred.

Just within the last two weeks, Snaggle has really been talking about the Marines. Her two older brothers are enlisted currently. She's been real serious about losing seven pounds since she's learned she's over the regulation. She has been going to the gym religiously, some mornings we will train together. Last Wednesday, she even went to my track workout with me. She started out barely able to run a mile. Yesterday, she was gushing about running three without stopping.

She has cleaned up her diet in the last two weeks. Her addiction was pizza. She could throw back a medium extra cheese and pepperoni pizza all by her lonesome. She used to live for Pizza Hut, she had it programmed in her cell phone for Christsake! Not a morsel since the weigh in though. She's really been trying and I'm very proud of her.


I'm worried about her too. I'm afraid that the Marines will take away the qualities I love about her so much. She'll become tough and hard like a piece of leather. Snag has been a very sensitive child and I'm scared they'll lamb baste her for it. Maybe that's what she wants though, to become tougher.

I have never seen her more excited about something before. She's always been a great student. She's always on the A-B honor roll. She's happy to bring home her stellar report cards. The plan for the past two years was to go to NC State after high school and become a vet.

The past few weeks have been completely different. Once she saw the recruiter and was serious about enlisting, she became determined and focused. She's been motivated and excited about tomorrow. She has taken control and has decided to open up a new chapter in her life. I still am allowed to worry though.

I can't wrap my brain around wanting to join the Marines. If someone was shouting while giving me orders and spitting in my face, I'd tell them,

"I'm not deaf and can you say it, not spray it?"

I'm just not obedient, never have been even with a father that was a general in the Air Force. He couldn't stand it. Nobody ever told him "no" in his life but me. Oh, he'd threatened me but it didn't get him anywhere. Like the time he demanded I say "sorry" to my sister for telling her to "shut up" or walk home five miles. I told him to stop the station wagon, I'd walk home. I did it too. My mom was all scared I'd get kidnapped.

We he took me to his new apartment because he was cheating on my Mom and getting a divorce, I gave him a piece of my mind. I gave him such a tongue lashing at 16, he stopped and got of the car that time. I'm not afraid of authority. I'm also am not willing to change my sense of self because someone "says so".

It's Maddy's life, not mine. Even if I think it's wrong for a drill instructor to scream at her, it doesn't matter. Her decision is making her as happy as a clam in spam. She didn't understand why I was spending so much time training for a Half Ironman. She told me she missed me and didn't know about all my changes. She never stopped loving me and when my big day came, she was out there cheering me on.


Snaggle, you know I love you like a rock star. I'm proud of you for being so brave and making such a life changing decision. I know you will be one of the best Marines that will be serving our country along with your brothers. I am happy and excited because these emotions are oozing from your pores. Oh, the places you will go!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was off today, it's supposed to be my rest week but I still weight trained.
My legs are so sore from the increase in weight yesterday, I had a hard time getting off the toliet today!

7 Comments:

At 9:26 PM, Blogger Papa Louie said...

Yep, we can wish them the best and hope they get what they what out of the service. My son is a marine and is going back to iraq next monday for the 3rd time.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Bolder said...

sending best wishes to snaggles and mojo from the drum circle...

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger 21st Century Mom said...

Mojo you and Snags are both quite the inspiration. Best of luck to her.

 
At 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of everything life has to offer to Snaggle!
And mojo, your good people....
Now get that girl a pair of running shoes, flip-flops will not cut it in the Marines :)

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger :) said...

Best of luck, snaggle!

(a response to your challenge is in the works...) 8)

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Fe-lady said...

Snags will come out a much better person. There is much more to the Marines than having a drill sergeant yelling at you. My husband spent 22 years in the Army and is a Ranger. He has so many leadership/people skills and such insight that sometimes it is scary. The girl down the street who used to babysit my daughter went into the Marines and now has full tuition to become a teacher.
It won't change her...it will just bring her to new levels and parts of herself she never knew were there-but they were all along!

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Dvd players for kids bulk email Modafinil no rx Divorce court new york ny Brother 2750 fax machine sampras tennis search engine optimization power washers ritalin drug

 

Post a Comment

<< Home